Need a good summer read? Here’s a quick off-the-cuff list of my top 10 copywriting books.
Actually, it’s fourteen. Several authors have written a pair of books too good to pick from, so you get both.
They’re all classics, meaning they’ve stood the test of time. Which means they’ll serve you well for the rest of your life — and beyond, considering what they could enable you to accomplish in one lifetime.
- Breakthrough Advertising and The Brilliance Breakthrough by Eugene Schwartz
- Scientific Advertising and My Life in Advertising by Claude Hopkins
- Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples
- Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion and Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade by Robert Cialdini
- Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath
- Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries, Jack Trout and Philip Kotler
- The Ultimate Sales Letter by Dan S. Kennedy
- Words that Sell and More Words That Sell by Rick Bayan
- A Technique for Producing Ideas by James Webb Young
Talk about a path to prosperity!
These books have helped me more than words can describe. Both in terms of building a successful copywriting and consulting practice, and simply helping me communicate better with my fellow homo sapiens.
The key, of course, is to pull nuggets out of each one and put it to use in your own life. Then come back again and again for nuggets you missed on first reading.
Rock on — And don’t forget to write! 🙂